Friday, February 19, 2021

Genre Research: Us

Genre Research

This 2019 film is probably one of the most abnormal movie I've ever watched. The plot is beyond original and it keeps the audience guessing even hours after the credits role. "The film follows Adelaide Wilson (Nyong'o) and her family, who are attacked by a group of menacing doppelgängers." This film is semi-gore which isn't something I plan on including in our film but I does have incredible suspense within the movies. This was achieved through a list of camera angles, movements, lighting, sound and mise-en-scene. Once again the most anxiety rising part of this film was the non-diegetic sound. The background music and sound motif was super nerve racking, loud and disruptive to what could've been a normal scene. I noticed a lot of close-up shots throughout this film. This was used to connect different scenes. Point of view shots and over-shoulder shots were prevalent in this film and in the other films we watched. In this film for the most thrilling parts of the film the lighting was low. The films was not exactly that saturated when it came to showcasing color. The overall setting was on the grayer side of the scale, if that makes sense. The movie did not start in such a high tension era so I don't think low lighting will be used that often in our film. We will make sure the setting is low in saturation, low in hue. Elements I liked in this film was the cliffhanger, this film had an incredible plot twist, an indirect indication of who the protagonist was. In thrillers I noticed there's always a psychopath somewhere in there. Considering our pitch included psychopaths as a character, I think we are on the right track. I also want to include the CAMS/ CLAMPS I mentioned earlier. Plus tracking and cutting. Elements that weren't that great was arguably, was the indecisiveness of the good and bad guys. I didn't like how long it took to get to the plot. If not thought about, you probably will probably leave the theatre very confused. This was one of those films were it required a lot flashbacks and foreshadowing. If not conveyed properly, this technique will completely over complicate your film. The movie does execute it well but it's definitely something we would not use in our film.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Task CCR

Critical Reflection This my critical reflection for our final task. I decided the paint while simultaneously answering questions about the f...